Monday, August 8, 2011

New thing

School Church Home Friends Work Dog

All those listed above are the new things in my life. My wife and I have made quite a niche for ourselves here in Central Florida. With two years under my belt I have changed degree programs At school from Graphic Design to the preferred Digital Cinematography.

Little by little I'm not only learning the details on being a Cinematographer but, more importantly I've learned balance. Previously when given any kind of project wether it be school, film, household I would completely absorb myself in the given assignment/project. Even at the expense of others around me. The real trick in being success full in anything you put your mind to is balance. I've just began to tap into this uncharted territory in myself. To get to this point I had to cut out certain things in my life. I came to the realization that it wasn't really the one thing that was keeping me from succeeding but it was how I dealt with it was what made it my downfall.

My obsession with anything StarWars was the "thing" that I let take over me.

It's been three months now and I have no idea what is going on in the world of StarWars other than in two years Celebration 6 will take place again here in Orlando. Partly inspired by the sabbatical that our pastor took. I decided three months ago that after the last StarWars Weekends at Disney's hollywood Studios that that will be the time where I begin my sabbatical. The time off includes no websites, blogs, twitter personalities, etc until Celebration 6. I can not willingly seek out information on anything related to StarWars. I'm sure that includes some major events like the previously announce bluray releases and clone wars season 4 premiere.

The etc above is a big deal for me. The etc.. became the midshare that StarWars had on me. As anyone knows I had StarWars on my mind 24/7. So with the help from the awesome Cale Duncan I've take strides on replacing that mind share with more Bible centric teachings and school/career related things. Yes some are sad to see my yoda voice fall to the wayside but yes that too has to go.

I have stayed away from broadcasting this until now for the reason that the mere act of letting people know about this too early on would feed into the mind share. That would hinder me from completely severing it. That's what I did this is the first time I have even type the words star and wars together in months. Just this passed weekend I tried letting it creep back in a little with the idea of connecting to youth at an event we as leaders put on at church. That in itself , even for good, was a bit too much for me. Now this. The final notion of StarWars for a long time.

This silencing out of anything that triggers obsessive (more on that later) tendencies that are not God, Wife or school related is somehthing I plan to master little by little.

1 comment:

Christi said...

Awesome post Evan! If everyone had the courage to do this with their time, I believe there would be revival and life change. Keep us updated on your blog!